Jobs for shearers, wool classers and labourers are available all year round to help farmers fleece their flocks.
You'll be shearing sheep to get quality wool fleece.
You'll need to:
- be physically fit
- stand for long periods of time
- good at communicating
- work with animals
- work as part of a small team
- take sheep from catching pens and hold firmly while shearing fleece in one piece
- select shearing combs to suit the type of sheep and wool
- make sure sheep are shorn with the least possible stress on the animal and in accordance with strict animal welfare guidelines
- return shorn sheep to let-out pens for counting and checking
- shear stud animals with hand shears or special combs clean and sharpen combs and cutters
- identify sheep with specific characteristics, such as black spots, as requested by the wool classer.
How you'll make a difference
Wool is one of South Australia’s largest manufacturing employers supporting 30,000 jobs. By shearing sheep you’ll play a part in helping to support our state growth, and create additional jobs in the economy.
Did you know:
- 98% of wool product is sold to international markets.